How Secure is Zoom?
Resources you need to decide for yourself
Last updated April 8, 2020, 09:30
Zoom has experienced exponential usage since the rush to facilitate home workers due to the Covid-19 pandemic. With all the new use, security researchers have been scrutinizing Zoom’s security models and have found startling discrepancies between what Zoom claims and what it implements.
Add to this the long history of privacy concerns from Zoom and other video conferencing technologies, and you have some serious concern.
The following are key resources available as of today that you need to draw your own conclusions.
- Zoom Meetings Aren’t End-to-End Encrypted – The Intercept, March 31, 2020
- The Zoom Privacy Backlash is Only Getting Started – Wired, April 1, 2020
- So Wait, How Encrypted Are Zoom Meetings Really? – Wired, April 3, 2020
- Zoom Banned from New York City Schools Due to Privacy and Security Flaws – Fast Company, April 4, 2020
- How to Keep your Zoom Chats Private and Secure – Wired, April 5, 2020
- Zoom Sued for Fraud Over Privacy, Security Flaws – Bloomberg, April 7, 2020
- Move Fast & Roll Your Own Crypto – The Citizen Lab, April 3, 2020
Zoom Positioning / Communications
- The Facts Around Zoom and Encryption for Meetings / Webinars – Zoom Blog Post, April 1, 2020
- New Security Updates From Zoom (email to Zoom customers), April 3, 2020
Commentary / Hacker News