Why join Sidechain?
Sidechain Security is a fast-growing cybersecurity services company based in Portland, OR. We are a progressive, remote-only company that is focused on helping our clients protect their sensitive data with cryptography, encryption, and key management. If you are looking to build skills within the cybersecurity industry, gain hands-on experience working with customers of all sizes, and join an early-stage company with significant growth opportunity, please consider a role with us.
What you’ll do
Sidechain operates Managed Data Protection, a cloud-based data security solution for companies of all sizes. This encryption-as-a-service is built within the Microsoft Azure cloud, and is delivered as a managed service to our clients.
Our clients also hire us to help with their data protection efforts on professional services engineering projects of all sizes, ranging from a few days to several months. Our ability to execute these projects professionally, with expert guidance to the client, and manage the project to stay on schedule, are all success-factors that our clients expect.
The Sidechain Professional Services Engineer is responsible for planning, executing, and completing cybersecurity projects. In some cases, you’ll be operating solo while other projects will be run as a Sidechain team. You will also be responsible for general operational support for the Managed Data Protection service, interacting with customers for onboarding and technical support.
This role is a mid-level professional services engineer role, with the expectation that you have at least 2 years of project delivery experience. This role requires experience with general IT operations and systems, a general know-how of cybersecurity concepts, and strong business acumen. It is important that you have experience delivering consulting engagements, managing customer expectations, and an awareness of how to deliver maximum value to the client while operating within constraints such as time and budget.
The role requires an individual with strong communication skills and an ability to translate complex cybersecurity concepts into simple terms that make sense to customers without specialized skills. This position must have a passion for interacting with customers, which is demonstrated through professionalism and striving for excellence in all aspects of the customer experience. It’s ok if you don’t have experience using Thales CipherTrust Data Protection products, but you will be expected to become an expert in them while at Sidechain.
This role will perform the following responsibilities:
- Communicate Sidechain data protection benefits and professional services capabilities to both technical IT teams and business leaders
- Independently gather and translate client business requirements into use cases for Sidechain Managed Data Protection and professional services engagements
- Collaborate with Sidechain leadership to build effective data security strategies for our clients
- Perform pre-sales functions to create solution designs
- Effective whiteboarding, project planning, and brainstorming with the customer what’s possible, and not so possible, in our engagements
- Build Statements of Work (SOW) that represent project scope and resourcing
- Post-sales implementation of solution designed and aid the customer adoption and onboarding experience
- Produce project and service documentation
Key expectations of the role:
- Have experience with Windows and Linux operating systems and be comfortable navigating and operating within them.
- Have experience with a broad array of IT concepts including computing, storage, networking, virtualization, cloud infrastructure, and file systems.
- Have a general understanding of data encryption and its relationship with keys and key management
- Experience with Thales CipherTrust Manager or Vormetric, is a huge plus but not required
- Listen and address customer technical challenges and design the right solution that sales and integrates to their desired expectations
- To be an active participant in customer meetings, planning meetings, and scoping discussions
- Willness to learn new technology, get comfortable with encryption products we use, and pursue company-sponsored certification / training opportunities
- To participate in all team functions including calls, meetings, events, etc.
- To accept mentorship from Sidechain leadership and senior engineers
Who you are
You’re a strong team player that is invested in helping your customers succeed and contributing to a great company culture. You are comfortable working in a small company with the same team members day in and day out in a highly collaborative environment. You are self-starting and have the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or other technical field. Will consider equivalent field experience.
- 2+ years of experience in IT systems development, support, or consulting
- 2+ years experience designing solutions to solve business problems
- 5+ years of experience using Microsoft products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), and other productivity products
- Demonstrated knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems, how to navigate on command-line interfaces, and interact with files
- Demonstrated knowledge of cybersecurity concepts including firewalls, endpoint protection, malware / ransomware, networking vulnerabilities, etc.
- Understanding of encryption, general cryptography concepts, and general awareness of cryptographic security concepts such as AES encryption, certificates, PKI, key management, etc.
- Experience using Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or other video conferencing solution
- Demonstrated aptitude for providing exceptional customer service in politically-charged environments
- Ability to operate under pressure in technical support scenarios
- Ability to work independently with minimal management supervision and also part of a core team
- Ability to maintain after-hours availability when on-call or when performing activities with customers
- Possess passion for continuous learning, strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and time management skills
- Have a suitable home-office or other remote working environment that enables quiet focus during working hours
Who we are
As an early-stage company, we strive to minimize red-tape. We offer employees a high degree of flexibility and in return for autonomy. This role is a core position within the company in which you will be expected to contribute within a limited management structure and in a highly collaborative environment.
As a remote-only company, you will be working from home 95% of the time. You’ll earn benefits including flexible work hours, unlimited PTO, paid Holidays, and the opportunity to participate in bonus, commission, or profit sharing plans in addition to base salary. As an early member of our team, there is immense growth opportunity.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.